Turning 21 is a big milestone in many people’s lives, and with most, there were probably many ups and downs in those awkward teen years we all experienced (cringe). But we have to learn from them to be who we are today.
So here’s a list of things that we should all know before we reach the ripe old age of 21, based on personal experience.
- Work a service industry job, because you’ll never be the kind of awful customer who makes employees cringe. Trust me, I’ve been there. You want to know why the devil spawns wrecked your display, or why they insist on making ridiculous demands that seem utterly impossible…But all in all, it’ll build character, and that’s priceless.
- Keep a journal, after all, who doesn’t like to read back through the dramatic ups and downs? There’s no better way to see how much you’ve changed and grown since the beginning.
- Spend time with your family, you’re at the time of your life where you’ll be experiencing things away from home, such as going to university or maybe travelling. With your new found freedom, you’ll miss your family and it’s important to let them know you love them before you set off on your adventures.
- Be confident about what interests you, because it makes you happy, and don’t try and waste your time with people that may try to convince you what you love isn’t cool. You don’t need that kind of negativity in your life, so find people that love what you love.
- Enjoy your body, whether it’s working out or simply wearing what you want, do it because you’ll be happy, and that’s a beautiful thing. Your body is yours, and it’s yours forever, so take care and enjoy it.
- Know who your true friends are, friends come and go, but whether they were good or bad friendships, they can have lasting effects. Let go of toxic relationships and embrace the relationships that will pick you back up when you’re down. Cherish your friends.
- Pursue hobbies that excite you, make sure you push yourself, because you have a limited amount of time to do all of the things you might be passionate about. Make sure you use the time wisely.
- Take care of yourself, sleep well, eat right, exercise, spend time with people you love and do things that you enjoy. Keep yourself happy and healthy for the challenges ahead.
- Take pictures, if it’s something you want to remember, snap it. But don’t forget to enjoy the moment as well.
- Love yourself, because at the end of the day, you have yourself. Love yourself with everything you have and it will attract happiness into your life.